Monday, October 27, 2008

Japan 2008 Holiday

On an early October morning Mrs Game Fugu and I were finally able to leave the apartment for our annual holiday in Japan. Ever since returning to the UK from teaching on the JET programme in Hiroshima, I have been able to go back once a year to see friends still out there and visit some new places. This year the plan was to visit Osaka, Nagoya and Nara.

When I have spoken with friends in the past about going to Japan, their first reaction is almost always "Wow, it must be really expensive." I always responded by saying it was much cheaper than people believe - good restaurants and izakaya were affordable, and hotels were less expensive than in the UK. However, I cannot say this any more! When we changed our £ into ¥ (Yen) last month, the exchange rate was £1 to ¥196. With the credit crunch and threat of recession in the UK, this has fallen to ¥146. Now I agree, it is expensive to have a holiday in Japan!

No comments: